Friday, June 30, 2017

Wearing the Badge

It’s way different wearing a missionary plaque out in public than it is wearing one in the MTC.  In the MTC you are no different from the other 126 Mission Presidents and wives.  In the world, people watch you.  

I remember, in the past, watching missionaries in the airport and on the airplane.  From the perspective of a member, I wondered if they were using their time to share the gospel.  I wondered if they were being polite.  

Now that I am a missionary I realize suddenly people are watching me.  Members and non members are expecting me to be polite, to do missionary work.  It’s weird being in the same setting... in the airport, in the Sky Club, on the plane and thinking how I acted in the past and how I am expected to act now.

In the past I just kept to myself and minded my own business.  I figured I was inconspicuous and nobody was watching me.  I didn’t need to wipe off the sink in the women’s bathroom, because I was a nobody.  I didn’t need to carry my trash to the garbage, I could wait for the Sky Club attendants to do it.  Now I ask myself, do they think I’m rude because I brought large bags on board?  Do they think I should sacrifice leaning my seat back so the guy behind me can have more room?  Will they look with wide-eyes if I order Diet Coke?

You who have served missions know what it’s like to be in the spotlight.  It is an interesting experience.  It’s kind of cool because when you’re a nobody, nobody cares what you have to say.  When you have a badge on your chest, your actions, your words have weight.  It’s a daunting responsibility, but what a great opportunity to be in a position to make a good impression, to say something people may want to hear (or may not, as the case may be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

New way to find and teach

Please send a "friend request" to our facebook page:   Bret'nJeanette Smith    We will be posting on facebook in the futur...