Sunday, July 28, 2019

Christ-like love


Wow, did I learn something new from this activity!  A very conscientious district leader organized an activity where companions in his district would wash one another's feet.  The take-away was supposed to be because Christ did "yeuchy" things, we should be willing to do so too.  But I learned something entirely different.

One of the hermanas didn't have a companion because her companion was in an interview so I washed her feet and she washed mine.  At first I thought I would feel "yech" because I'm a bit of a germ freak.  But my response was just the opposite.

As I washed her feet I thought of how hard she had been working, walking all day long in the dusty, muddy streets of Santo Domingo, over rocky roads, filled with holes and pitfalls.  I was filled with tremendous love for her and I desired to show her how much I loved her.  I wanted to wash her feet, tenderly, slowly; I wanted her to feel better, to feel relief, to feel cared for.  I felt it was a privilege, and I didn't once think "yech."  

I realized that our Savior likely felt this way when he washed his disciples feet.  I don't think he felt "yech".  I think he felt love.  I think he felt compassion for what they had been through, being his disciples, and compassion for what they would yet endure, being his disciples.  I think he wanted to fortify them, to show them he cared, to help them feel supported.  I think this should be our goal when we serve one another, not to do so holding our nose, but doing so while reaching out our hearts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

New way to find and teach

Please send a "friend request" to our facebook page:   Bret'nJeanette Smith    We will be posting on facebook in the futur...